You’re In Texas Now

If you’re a Texas resident, then you need Texas estate planning documents.

We’re parochial, and we’re proud of it. Our doctors and hospitals recognize the Texas form of the Medical Power of Attorney and Directive to Physicians. They will scoff at your pitiful North Carolina version.

Trying to use a California Financial Power of Attorney?

Oh, please!

And don’t even think about dying on Texas soil with a Florida will.

Sure, you can bring proof that the document is valid in the other state. You can quote applicable law, and may eventually prevail. But why would you take the chance and spend the time and money when it is so easy to have good documents that are instantly recognizable as valid?

Texas has a statutory standard language that should be the basis for all of your planning documents. Use it as a starting point, and then have an experienced attorney customize it for your unique family and financial situation. If you have questions or need assistance getting your Medical Power of Attorney, Directive to Physicians, Wills, Financial Power of Attorney, or any other Estate Planning affairs in order, please give us a call.

Virginia Hammerle is a Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and an Accredited Estate Planner by the National Association of Estate Planners & Councils. She can be contacted at The information contained in this article is general information only and does not constitute legal advice. ©2013 Virginia Hammerle